No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah, DD puts some funny bits, and some serious stuff, I like that. Shrek type movie? Great........ My mom wants to take me and my sisters to Ella Enchanted. I said my sis should read the book first... now I think she should read it after the movie.......
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

• Agent M, I feel your pain, as I've seen favorite books massacred by film makers, but otoh, I've also seen some wildly fantastic adapations, too. The Kevin Sullivan adapation of Anne of Green Gables was transcendantly good. There's nothing quite so thrilling as seeing a favorite character brought to life really well. I still remember the chills I got when I saw Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes for the first time, or Edward Petherbridge as Lord Peter Wimsey. Or Ian McKellen as Magneto and Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Or, heck, Alan Rickman as Snape.

So, I'll still plump down on the side that's for book adaptations into movies. And I can always hope for movies that rise above their source material, like His Girl Friday.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by db_pr:
        Ugh, little women...
        In my english class I had to read A Wizard of Earthsea, which I devoured because it is very good.
        Have you read the other two books in the Earthsea trilogy? They follow our hero when he is a full wizard, and then when he is the head wizard. Also, if you like those, then I would reccomend Robin Hobb's Assassins trilogy. (The first one is Assassin's Aprentice). I've also just done re-reading Year of the Gryffin, which I absolutly LOVE. Anyone else read it? (It's by Diana Wynne Jones, one of my fave fantasy (magic) authors). After reading, I unearthed deep memories of The Dark Wizard of Derkholm, which is set in the same world. Unusually for me, I gave up on it. I may have been too young - I shall have to get and read it. I can't wait for another set in the same world though.
        The only book I have given up on is Dune. I tried it when I was about 12, and gave up very rapidly. (It may have been he small print of the copy I had - I was loathe to wear my glasses then). I tried again over last Christmas, but it failed to grab me soon enough.
        "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• Hi all,
          thought i would spread the news, if you have not seen it already DD has posted a new topic called "DD's Phonepix". When she's been roaming around she has been taking photo's with her Nokia 6600 (Which by the way I've been trying to get for the last 6 months!!!). I thought it was great, gives me/us a chance to see bits of DD's life. By the way DD I love the cats and trust me Bubble's is an saint compared to my cat, crys all the hours of the day and night for no reason other than to make me run after him!!! Anyway to every one else go look at the topic. Click here

All the best
          Fox
          God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

• Umm... One of the last pics with a bear, uhh... don't look too closely at it. Just a suggestion. Yeah.

DD's kitty was cute! Squeak, I think his name was. Sweet kitty. *Huggles my Cassie.*

Wilf, you gave up on the Dark Lord of Derkholm too? I was reading the beginning and it just seemed like everything was so random. Or like it was all some kind of big skit. That really annoys me, so I just gave up on that one. But you don't have to have read the Dark Lord of Derkholm to read the Year of the Griffin? Cool. I've heard a lot of good things about that one. I suppose I should start it soon.

I prbably will, too, because I just finished Trickster's Choice. Pretty good book, that. It seemed to end before it was finished though. Did it feel like that to anyone else? And like Tamora's Peirce's other books, it was sugary/syrupy.
            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Ooh! Lots of things to reply to!

Re Ella Enchanted movie: GRRR!! I saw the trailer, and it looks SOOOOO stupid. Die Anne Hathaway. Naturally I've read the book (hee hee) and I love it. But this movie looks sooo awful.

Re Dark Lord of Derkholm: Really?? I love that book! You didn't like it? I thought it was really creative...Diana Wynne Jones is great.

Re Trickster's Choice: I read it. I love Tamora Pierce's other stuff, especially Protector of the Small, but I really, really hated Aly. She was PERFECT. She never made any mistakes, she always knew what to do, she remembered everything she learned...ugh ugh ugh! She was unreal! However, I liked the book. And I think it was cut off rather suddenly because there's going to be a sequel, called Trickster's Queen, I believe.

Visit me at xanga.com/atari7!!
              *Ella*
              "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
              There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
              And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
              What could mean more than this?"
              --Bright Eyes

Comment

• Ya know what's funny? Though I haven't actually seen the trailer, it sounds like it's not very good, coming from you guys. But my mom and my sisters saw it on T.V. and my mom said it looked really good. lol. I think it's funny because clearly you guys think it looks stupid because you can compare it with the book, which is REALLY good.
                DD's kitties are soooooooooooo cute!!!!!

Add on: God.... I just saw the trailer, really stupid. Whoever said it was similar to Shrek was right, it looks really stupid... God.

[This message was edited by marniebrown1 on 19 March 2004 at 13:45.]
                *Agent~M*
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "I could live

Comment

• but I really, really hated Aly
                  -Ella
                  I know! And sometimes what she says sounds like she's a brat. And watching Allana get old... It was so weird. And yeah, I liked Protector of the Small a lot, too. Especially the last one. That one didn't feel as sugary. I read the back of the book. It said that Peirce wrote that after the 9/11 attack, and it really affected her writing. So much death.

I read Hexwood by Dianna Wynne Jones. Hmm... I think I liked that one.
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Hi all,
                    I've not seen the trailer of this movie (and I have not heard of it either *sorry*) It sounds good though. Mind you I'm in England so we get the movies later . You know just lately I feel I have to reserch all the books your on about, the problems is theres so many good books out there and we all have our own style of reading. Oh I asked my friend (who works in a book shop and I think nearly reads as much as me) about that book Da Vinci code, he thinks he's heard of it and going to look into it. I think I'm going to add it to my next book order from Amazon.
                    Hope you all have GGGGGGRRRRRREEEEEAAAAATTTTTT weekend.
                    Fox
                    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

• Have a great weekend, too!

Okay, fictionpress people, I've started a story! But I haven't posted anything on my account yet. My username is ValorGryphon. Some butthead already picked Gryphon.

Tell your friend to have some copies of the DaVinci Code at his store. I bet it would sell really good because it's so popular. Well, it's popular in the United States at least.

People ALWAYS mess up good books when they turn them into movies. I mean, look at Harry Potter! The movies sucks so bad... And they're not even going to wear wizard rodes. What's with that???

Though I think LOTR was an exception. The movie was great. The soundtrack for the third one was really good, too.

Comment

• Cool!!

Yeah when people make movies out of books they screw them up. GRR!!!

I'm leaving for a week today. A place where the computer has more viruses than MINE and crashes unexpectadly. So I have the torture of being at a place with a comp and not being able to use it!!!
                        ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                        Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                        HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                        My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• Poor Sam!! Where are you going?
                          Fox, DaVinci Code is Good! So's Ella Enchanted.
                          I hate Hollywood.
                          *Agent~M*
                          "I could live

Comment

• "We pray for our sorrows to end,
                            and hope that our hearts will blend.
                            Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
                            And who knows:
                            starting a new journey may not be so hard
                            or maybe it has already begun.
                            There are many worlds,
                            but they

Comment

• Awesome Lissa!
                              *Agent~M*
                              "I could live

Comment

• That's all I get no Appaluse (sp) no Standing O. What is it with you people?? I wrote a GREAT Poem for Sam and Neo and all I get was an "Awesome". Lol It is all good. I was just joking. Hehehehe I lub everyone!!!!!!!
                                "We pray for our sorrows to end,
                                and hope that our hearts will blend.
                                Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
                                And who knows:
                                starting a new journey may not be so hard
                                or maybe it has already begun.
                                There are many worlds,
                                but they

Comment

Working...
                                X