No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My uhderstanding of autism is that it is nto gentically caused, in the way that something like cystic fibrosis or red hair is. Istead, it is like dyslexia in that there seems to be a gentic tendecay towards it amongst certain groups of people. Certainly if there is a history of either of them in your family, you are more like to to contract it.
    That said, you could argue the same thing about povety - poor people tend to have poor parents, but that doesn't mean it is gentically caused.

The other problem that crops when discussing autism is that it is it is not something which people have or not. I am not sure what the formal (medica) definition of austistic is - perhaps someone could enlighten us?
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• I'll ask my mom. SHe works with Autist and handicapped people.
      Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• Well it is a discusion that defenaly needs to looked into. I've got sort of an idea in my head what it is but it deffinaly needs to be looked into. Do any of you have gentic disoredrs or dieases? I have Von Willebrands Diease which is sort of like Hemophila because its a beelding disoreder but its differnt because it is missing differnt factors in the platelets in your blood. I won't go on and on about this subect because I'd fill up the entire page. I ask again do any of you have gentic disorders?
        *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
        *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
        *Many have come and go

Comment

• Actually, if you have green eyes, then you are technically a mutant. (Or a sport, to use the biological term).
          As a (related) aside, was anyone here born in Europe, during the summer or autumn of 1986? I ask becuase of the Chernobyl disaster would've happened when you were in the womb.
          "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• What's the Chernobyl disaster?
            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• Uh.... What's the Chernobyl disaster?
              Why are you technically a mutant if you're born with Green eyes? I have hazel....
              *Agent~M*
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
              "I could live

Comment

• Genetic disorders? I have genetic disorder, does that count as a disorder?

...okay, bad pun, bad pun.

My father and I both have voices that are about three-quarters of an octave higher than they should be and therefore annoy people to no end... does that count? (j/k)

(Actually... it's really weird. I'm technically, by the timbre of my voice, an alto, but I know lots of sopranos who can go far lower than I can, and even more who can't reach within a P5 of my upper range...)

...and, for fear of repeating what's already been said, what is the Chernobyl disaster?

Comment

• I don't get the pun... cept that sounds funny when you say it out loud...
                  *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

• About Autism, I myself am confused about it. There are a couple autistic people at my school. I've been wondering about what exactly it is...

The genetic disorders... well I've got a couple, most would really freak you out. One I'm pretty sure I'll have, I'm just not old enough yet. But... lesse one that wouldn't freak you out... humm... probably there isn't one. But there is one my mom and grandmother and other Grandmother have, my mom has it the worst, but I don't have it nearly as bad as her, thank God, I am SO not going to have my two of my toes sewed together!!

Wilf: That is NOT cool!! I don't want to be a mutant for having green eyes!!!
                    ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                    Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                    HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                    My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• Guys, you have Google at your command. How hard is it to find out about autism?
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• To many sites, need to narrow search. Refinement is cool I love to refine stuff. Okay little werid need to lay off the suger.
                        *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                        *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                        *Many have come and go

Comment

• i know a little bouyt Autism... but im homschooled so i study it in like science think *shrugs*
                          "Power of Water, Wind, and Earth,
                          Turn the spell back to its birth.
                          Raise the Fire to free the Lord
                          By the Power of Wood and Sword."
                          ~Patrica C. Wrede "The Enchanted Forest Chronicals"~

Comment

• Originally posted by db_pr:
                            What's the Chernobyl disaster?
                            Originally posted by marniebrown1:
                            Uh.... What's the Chernobyl disaster?
                            Originally posted by semiramis:
                            ...and, for fear of repeating what's already been said, what _is_ the Chernobyl disaster?

On 26th April 1986, the nuclear power station in Chernobyl, Russia released a huge amount of radioactive material into the atmosphere. It was not the result of a nuclear explosion. As the wind was blowing from East, it resulted in a load of radioactive material being dumped all across Europe.
                            The USSR being the open nation it was, they didn't say anything. It was only noticed because a nuclear power station in Sweden noticed its counter levels going through the roof.
                            The reason why I asked about whether there any people born in Europe atthat time is because I was wonderign whether or not there was any increase in gentic disorders amongst that group.

Further info: BBC 'On this day' page

Originally posted by semiramis:
                            My father and I both have voices that are about three-quarters of an octave higher than they should be and therefore annoy people to no end... does that count? (j/k)
                            (Actually... it's really weird. I'm technically, by the timbre of my voice, an alto, but I know lots of sopranos who can go _far_ lower than I can, and even more who can't reach within a P5 of my upper range...)
                            How high can you get? I sing bass normally, and I can get to around the G above the C above middle C. Not as highI could get before my voice broke of course, but naturally I can get a lot lower. (Around about G be,ow C below middle C).

Comment

• Hey everybody, I'm back!
                              Florida was great I lub Orlando! We went to Universal Studios and had a blast ya'll would love it there!
                              penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• Woah!! Z! What day did you actually got to Orlando Studios?? Bewcause if it was Saturday, then my Best Friend was there. She went to Orlando last Wednesday and her Sudnay flight was cancelled so she came back Monday.
                                Wilf: That's cool! I didn't know what it was either, just didn't feel like asking.
                                ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                                Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                                HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                                My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

Working...
                                X