No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Harry Potter audios are so much fun to listen too; a few years ago, I went through a phase where I couldn't do my math homework unless I was listening to one. Jim Dale (I think that's the guy's name who does them) is so much fun to listen to.

My brain hurts, but at least my foot isn't broken. When my roomies were moving in, a friend of mine dropped the headboard of a bed we were lofting and it landed on my foot. The Wellness Center here at school wanted me to go to the emergency room for x-rays...but it was Saturday night in a college town, and there was no way I was going to get into the emergency room the first weekend we were all back at school, so I hobbled around on crutches until Monday. I finally got my foot x-rayed on Monday, and thankfully it didn't end up being broken, but it is horribly bruised. And I'm not allowed to run on it, which is a pain, since it's cross country season, and the first meet is tomorrow...and I'm missing it. Sadness.

Comment

• Audiobooks!

They're lost of fun. I thought the YW audiobooks were really good (I started the series by listening to the first five audiobooks, and I enjoyed them a lot. They were read well, and the voices were believable.

Another audiobook that is really good, is the audio version of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Two people narrate it, and it's a very good book. It's kind of sad (it's about a girl who kills herself), but it's a really good books with a really good audiobook.

Well, today I went inside the house I'm going to buy...in ten to fifteen years. It's a really nice house, it has ten bedrooms and has three floors plus an attic and basement. It's kind of waterfront property (on the Delaware river), in Riverton New Jersey. And, I might be able to afford it...in ten to fifteen years. It's a beautiful house, with a big front porch and the inside is in pretty good condition, with some need of paint and scrubbing.

I'm pretty determined that that's the house I'm going to move into when I can afford it. After I get three more jobs, and work like crazy.

But, it was a fun day, getting to look at the house and everything.
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• School's been going good... My language arts teacher is awesome, although she's been throwing us projects one after another. Book report, autobiographical project, poetry to memorize... Eek!

Of course, all's not well... H1N1 flu's hit basically all of Anchorage, and ton's of people are sick. Over 100 people were absent from my school alone yesterday! My brother's showing signs too, so I'm sorta on hyper alert.

Swimming is back from a month long break, and I've been put in charge of making a private webpage for the team. It seems to be working well, although I'll probably find some glitches once people start using it.

Also, there's more bad than the flu around. boy problems... We never talked this summer anyway, so I guess it's not such a big surprise. Still, I'm a little upset and a tiny bit mad.
        "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• I clicked view first unread, and it made me feel bad about myself. I haven't been on as much as I would have liked to this summer and when I did I mostly just did a quick scan then had to go. I am glad everyone is have a fairly good start to the new school year.
          Mine has been pretty good too. I transferred to a new college. Not all of my credits transferred with me, so while I am starting my third year, I am still a sophomore. Hello winter and summer classes!
          I feel I should apologize in advance for any future posts. Two of my classes (sociology) require that we participate in graded online discussions for each week. Because of this, I am likely to sound long winded and slightly pompous since I am probably clicking over here for some fun after I post over there. Again I apologize. Now lets just hope that I don't mix the two discussion boards up. I think my sociology professor would think me insane if I started talking about the science behind the wizardry or something. It would be amusing to see her face.
          Reading wise, I have been isolating myself in 19th century England with my good friend Jane Austen. It was been wonderful and I am enjoying getting to know all of the Bennets and Elliots and Dashwoods and Morlands again. It has been too long. I still haven't read Mansfield Park, but I will soon, once I make it back to the library.
          Hope the semester continues just as well!

Comment

• Today is 9/11, and I'm posting for an interesting reason.

I noticed this part of SYWTBAW when I read it for the first time, but I never really said anything much about it. But I think today is a good time to say it. I'll just get my book and read a quote from it...

I don't think much can be said to that, except, "There are no accidents."

Anyways, just a thought.

Dai for now, cousins
            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• On that note, from Stealing the Elf-King's Roses:

They crossed Sixth Avenue. "It's weird," Lee said absently, while her mind was turning over the awful things the Elf-King had told them. "Except for the vehicles, the place looks normal." She glanced down Sixth Avenue. "But where's the World Trade Center gone?"

Gelert glanced down the way she was looking, shrugged his ears, winced. "Other side of the island, maybe? This is an alternate universe..."
              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Bumped into this piece on Lens, the NY Times photojournalism blog, it's called "The World, as of 9/10/01." I particularly like photo 2 in the sequence.
                Last edited by Kathy Li; September 11, 2009, 11:16:53 PM.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Those are some beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting the link, Kathy. 2001, sheesh I can't believe its been that long. I was only 12.

And thanks to Garret and kk for posting your excerpts from books.

On that same note... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0wr8egTnYw"]YouTube - Michael W. Smith - There She Stands[/ame]
                  "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

• Garrett: That's right... I remember that quote now... *stops self from going on a rant about how good that book was, because we're on a serious topic*

Kathy: Wow, those are good pictures...

Bookgirl: Yeah, it does seem like such a long time--I was only 7 when it happened! Oh, and oooh... Michael W. Smith. His music is good.

Edit: I went to ladies' Bible study with my mom today... It was very interesting, and fun. All of the ladies giggle like teenagers.

In the group, we're studying Esther, and we each get a workbook. In one corner of the cover of the workbook, there's a symbol that looks exactly like one of these. I thought it was pretty cool. Then someone started reading aloud the introduction to the study and read the phrase, "Scripture does not effect the unwilling soul," and I thought "Well doesn't that sound familiar?"

Also, the introduction video was about why there aren't such things as coincidences.

I think I'm going to enjoy this class...
                    Last edited by kk; September 22, 2009, 03:01:32 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to say something, but nobody's been replying to this forum :P
                    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Hi! I don't have any time, but I needed to post quick.

Hi! Sorry I dropped out a bit... with my sister going to school, them school, then we visited her, and I broke my finger... (not serious... hairline fracture) (non-dominant hand)

I need sleep right now, but... I wanted to come on, say hi, and promise to be back as soon as possible. Tons of homework thhis weekend, but I'll try to find some time to post quick.

I haven't read through this yet to catch up... hope all is well, sorry for not noticing if something isn't, and I think I'll go crash now

dai!
                      "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• Obviously it's been a while since I last posted, I'm sorry for that, I guess I just haven't had anything much to say. Hope everything is going good for everyone, I'm still working hard and getting to where I need another vacation. Anyone had any thoughts of fun places to go, or things to do? Not that I have a lot of money, but I do need some time off and would like to have something fun to do.

My family and I will be going to the Texas Renaissance Fair this All Hollow's Eve, and I'm really looking forward to that... it should be great and I hope to get some good pictures...

That catches everything up for now, I'll post more later....
                        There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                        "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• For all it's vastness, this is a small world on which we live. I caught the news today of the quakes and tsunami in the South Pacific, and remembered chatting here (or on IRC in a YW channel) to Tori, who lives on American Samoa. I hope she's OK...
                          Last edited by Lazy Leopard; September 30, 2009, 07:48:41 PM.
                          -- Rick.

Comment

• If life is like a box of chocolates, I want to trade mine in..... Mine has PEANUTS!
                            Lazy Leopard, I hope your friend is all right as well....
                            If in a dewdrop there is a world of struggle, what happens when our dewdrop falls?
                            Some people are like slinkies, pretty much useless, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down the stairs.

Comment

• Tori's okay; she posted her status on livejournal; thankfully her and her family are all fine.

---

A Wizard on Mars now has a firm release of April 14th, 2010?
                              Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                              Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

• There is a firm date for publishing, and my grandmother is trying to get me a signed copy. Which is the only thing I want for my birthday, other than college money donations... Which is more a sign of my own social dysfunction than anything else... And to keep this post random, what is your favorite brand of chocolate? (mine is hersheys)
                                If in a dewdrop there is a world of struggle, what happens when our dewdrop falls?
                                Some people are like slinkies, pretty much useless, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down the stairs.

Comment

Working...
                                X