No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heeeeeeee. Keys to new flat on Tuesday I got to see it today, and it's lovely! There's a broken window that needs replacing, and the kitchen floor needs retiling, but apart from that, it's perfect for me, and it's pre-adapted so I can use my shower chair and my kitchen seat to do things... ^________^
    Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• SilveredBlue... I'm so jealous! Right now 40 degrees would be considered warm... argh! Can I come live with yoooouuu? I'm so sick of snow. Sun, sun, SUNNNNN!!!

Which reminds me.. USA! USA! USA! We're kickin butt in ice hockey! I looove watching. I think I'm the only girl I know who's really excited to watch guys beat each other up on the ice. Freakin' wicked. =D

I really wanted to see Percy Jackson! I know how you feel with the book vs movie thing, but... since I've never read the book, and don't really know anything about it, I should be ok to see the movie.

Oh and hopefully I'll be getting a new computer soon! I hoooopee......

I'm home for the weekend. =) Tomorrow's the Firehouse Hoagie Sale! Can't wait. <3
      ..................~*Wolf*~..................
      AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
      Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• I sort of know what you mean, Wolf. My family is utterly obsessed with ice hockey. And soccer. I am the odd one out, I loathe sports with a fiery passion, except the ones that are fun to watch, like snowboarding and ice skating. So the TV is always a battleground between their sports and my space documentaries.
        "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• Watching all the Olympic events has finally just about convinced me to head up to BC for a couple days this week. It's too close to miss, really. Anyone else here going or been there the past week? I'll probably book something tomorrow.
          Ardub
          r:w)

Comment

• Ooh, lucky you, Ardub. I'd love to go to the Winter Olympics! But I live too far away...so, go TV!

For some reason I've taken a liking to curling. It's the only sport I could possibly join, because it's more about strategy than athleticism, and I'm not athletic at all. In fact, I don't even get why curling is a sport...?
            Last edited by estar9821; August 19, 2011, 04:32:15 PM.
            "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• estar: I think it's because those rocks are really heavy, and you have to throw them with precision to get them where you want them to go.

I am excited about the ice hockey game tonight! Go Canada!!!! Canada has to kick the USA's butt tonight. It's our sport we continually rock at. But USA is pretty hardcore about wanting to beat Canada, so it will probably be close. Maybe as close as the game against the Swiss...

The only other game I fully understand the rules to is football, so I'll watch that too. So hockey and football it is. Although I'll watch other sports, but won't understand what's going on... Watched curling yesterday. It was interesting. I was sad when Great Britain lost against the USA. Didn't completely know what was going on, though. I think points are based on how close to the button the rocks get, but I dunno for sure.
              I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
              Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
              ~Book junkie~

Comment

• Go USA!!! Sorry, had to do that, estar.

For some reason, curling reminds me of air hockey. I don't know WHY- possibly because the curling stones (minus the grips) look like pucks- but it does.

I just played in a trio today, in an ensemble competition!!! *grins* I absolutely love love love playing as a group (in this case, me on piano plus a flute and a cello), especially when we're all about the same level. It makes me happy all day after a good rehearsal.

It reminds me of what Nita was saying about group spelling, the texture and the exhileration, and even danger (because although getting off in front of an audience isn't life-threatening, it sure is nerve-threatening. ).

....More and more, I find that I can relate almost everything to a quote in YW....and it scares me a little, because either I'm the most terrible YW nut ever, or DD is on the same level as the minor Powers. I think I'll pick the later.

Comment

• What you said.
                  ....More and more, I find that I can relate almost everything to a quote in YW....and it scares me a little, because either I'm the most terrible YW nut ever, or DD is on the same level as the minor Powers. I think I'll pick the later.
                  I do wonder sometimes.

Speaking of which, I was flying into Philadelphia from Europe after winter break, and all I could think of as we were flying over Manhattan was, "Is that where Nita lives? Look at the snow in the valleys! And the beaches! Are they warm in the winter?* No, Nita went to the beach in the summer... Where's the Jones Inlet? How many inlets can the east coast have?"

*(I have to laugh at myself. Growing up in California is very nice: I have absolutely no idea about other people's problems with the weather, or the seasons. As for the beach, for the most part our Pacific beaches are cold year-round; the water flows from the Arctic. The exception being San Diego, and I've only been once.)

Comment

• Wow, dorotheia. Nice.

I've been to New York City once, but that was five years ago, before I had read YW. So too long ago to make a connection like that.
                    Last edited by estar9821; August 19, 2011, 04:31:12 PM.

Comment

• Congrats estar!! You should make up your own signal for "watch out, your about to be kicked in the head"

not much is happening here in PA. this morning it took me two entire minutes to walk the sixth of a block to the bus stop. And I think I slid the whole time. --- they should make a sliding smiley---

School is particularly boring recently. Not easy, its still kinda tough sometimes, cuz I missed a day last week, but just plain dull. We dont do anything interesting. Although, the english is sorta cool. We did biography notes and an outline, like we were going to write a paper, minus the actual writing. now we're making a timeline. with pictures. My person is Frederic Francois Chopin. Did you know that he never weighed more than 100 pounds? he was sickly his whole life, probably tuberculosis. I could go on for about an hour on Chopin. we've spent weeks on this.

A sign on a music store door

Gone Chopin
                      Will be Bach in a Minuet

For the musical peeps out there.....
                      All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• LOL. I love that!! Hey, if they're shopping, they'll probably need a Chopin Liszt....*groan*

And yes, I DID know that...because, being an incurable bibliophile, I read the introduction to my book of Chopin's Preludes, where it set out his life in minature.

Did YOU know that Chopin's most famous prelude, the "Raindrop" (#15) was not supposed to be called the Raindrop? He hated that name- it was his lover, Georgie-something-or-other, who called it that. And that every year, there's a massive competition held for professional pianists to play Chopin's works? The finalists go to his home town in Poland, and the prize is something like 50,000 dollars. And life-long bragging rights.

Yes, I pick up a lot of musical tidbits from the fronts of music books...

Speaking of competitions...my trio won the competition!! I am soooo excited! *dances*

We're going to need a name, since we'll keep competing! Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

• *dances* I got my keys to my flat today!!!
                          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Wow.. I haven't ventured into TOGR for a while. So many new posts...

Where did you go SCUBA diving, estar? I've been on an intro dive on the Great Barrier Reef. It was great fun, and I've snorkeled on the GBR and in the Red Sea I know what the kicked in the head thing is like, because when I'm snorkelling, I spend most of my time actually underwater, and get kicked by people I swim under. Good luck for your certification

Awesome Trialia!

I've been busy killing time lately, waiting for contact from potential employers or for uni to start again. The wait seems to have been worth it, though. I have one unoffical (more of a meet and greet) and one official interview next Monday! Its a little bit daunting, especially since both employers seemed really keen. I have no idea how to choose between them if I get offered both. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have any tips and tricks for interviews?

Comment

• Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                              Did YOU know that Chopin's most famous prelude, the "Raindrop" (#15) was not supposed to be called the Raindrop? He hated that name- it was his lover, Georgie-something-or-other, who called it that.
                              George Sand. There's a movie called Impromptu that's about their relationship, starring Judy Davis as Sand, Hugh Grant as Chopin, Julian Sands as Lizst, Bernadette Peters, Mandy Patinkin, Emma Thompson, etc.

And thanks for saving me from a one-liner. Sunday evening, my mom went to the hospital with acute pancreatitis; this morning, she died.
                              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• I'm so sorry, Garrett. My condolences to you and your family.
                                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
                                X